Detroit at Vancouver (10/27/09)

The Red Wings were on the road tonight playing the Vancouver Canucks. Osgood was in goal for the Wings and Luongo was in for Vancouver. Bertuzzi was moved to a line with Filppula and Cleary. May and Abdelkader were in for this game in place of Helm and Eaves.

It only took 30 seconds for Vancouver for to open things up on the Red Wings. They took a shot from the point that Osgood stopped. The puck hit the boards and bounced back out to the front of the net. It took a second for people to realize where it was. Filppula went after it but he wasn’t able to reach it in time. Henrik Sedin came in and shot it. Somehow it got between Osgood’s pads and into the net.

A few minutes later Ehrhoff took a shot from along the boards at a bad angle and Osgood misplayed it. The puck went in and suddenly the Canucks were up two to nothing. Babcock made the decision at that point to pull Osgood and put in Jimmy Howard. Osgood was clearly having a bad night and it’s better to stop the bleeding early before it gets out of control.

The Wings were very aggressive after that and had some great scoring chances but Luongo made some insane saves to keep the Red Wings off the board.

The Canucks got the first power play when everybody was crashing the net. Lebda came in and seemed to trip over the post and fell into the net dislodging it. He was called for delay of game. It wasn’t obvious on TV that it was intentional but I guess the referee felt that it was. The Wings were able to kill it off so no harm done.

Shortly after the penalty kill the Red Wings got on the scoreboard. It was a great passing play from Datsyuk across the ice to Zetterberg who tapped it back to Holmstrom in the middle. Luongo followed Zetterberg so Holmstrom had a wide open net and buried it. That made it two to one Vancouver; a score that held until the end of the first period.

Early in the second period Ryan Johnson stumbled while trying to get around Lidstrom and lost his balance. He fell to his knees and went full speed into the boards. It was terrible crash and he seemed to be knocked out for a few seconds. He sort of tucked his head a little so it looked like he hit the boards sort of with the back of his neck. It looked really bad. They brought the stretcher out and took him to the hospital. After the period ended they announced that he was alert and feeling well and was only going to the hospital as a precaution. His mom happened to be at the game so she was going with him. That must have been really scary for her seeing that happen to her son!

About halfway through the second period there was a big scrum in front of the net and Howard came up with a huge save. After the whistle May ended up in a fight with Glass. They each landed several punches in what I would call a draw. Offsetting fighting majors were assessed.

There was no scoring in the second period.

In the third period the Red Wings tied the game. Holmstrom was in front of Luongo and Edler forced him into the goalie. In the meantime Kronwall released a pinpoint shot that picked the top corner and beat Luongo while he was distracted. The puck was by him before Holmstrom fell into him but he was pushed anyway so it wasn’t really his fault.

Soon after the goal the Canucks went on the power play. Our old friend Mathieu Schneider ripped one from the point that beat Howard to give the lead right back to Vancouver.

Just a few seconds later Williams hit Datsyuk streaking into the zone. Datsyuk stopped quickly and cut towards the slot. He let one go with Leino screening in front and got it between Luongo’s legs to re-tie the game three.

A bit later Filppula made a great move to split the defenders and move in on goal. Luongo poke-checked the puck away from him but he had already been hooked so the Wings went on the power play. On the power play Rafalski fed it to Datsyuk near the point. He stepped up to the top of the circle and shot it with Holmstrom in front. Luongo never had a good look at it and it beat him to give the Wings the lead for the first time of the night.

Then Stuart was called for boarding on a very questionable call made by the referee at center ice and not the one that was right next to the play. Ericsson was already in the box for tripping so the Canucks had a 5 on 3 power play for a minute and three seconds. During the power play Edler got the puck from the point to Henrik Sedin down low. Howard couldn’t get reset in time and Sedin scored. That tied the game four.

The Canucks stayed on the power and a few seconds later Howard made a fantastic toe save to hold the tie. The Wings ended up killing the rest of the penalty.

With about five minutes left in the game the Red Wings were on the power play after Zetterberg was high-sticked. Bertuzzi passed it from the point to Filppula down low and then drove towards the net. Filppula made an incredible pass to Williams on the other side of the crease. Williams had snuck in and I don’t think anybody other Filppula noticed him. He had easy tap in with Luongo looking the other way. That gave the Wings the lead five to four.

Luongo went to the bench with about a minute left in the game to get the sixth attacker on the ice. They had some good chances but Howard was rock solid and held the lead. The Wings won the game four to five. It was their first road win of the season.

The Red Wings looked really good in this game, especially Datsyuk, Filppula and Howard. It was great to see them finally generating some results offensively. They weren’t soft goals either. To score that much against such a great goalie is really encouraging. You have to be impressed with Howard for coming into the game down two goals and still getting the win. He’s looking better and better each time we see him.

This 4-5 win brings us to:
10 points

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply